Frequently Asked Questions

In addition to the above, we'll want to receive names, addresses, and ID #s for all of the principals in the company. A copy of the letters from tax authorities granting ID #s is helpful, and for S corporations we want both the 2553 filed with the IRS and their letter to you granting the S status to the corporation.

We will want to see your Certificate of Organization, and to receive a copy of your Organizing Documents and Operating Agreements. These help us to have confidence that our recommendations are consistent with your structure.

Beyond that, you'll want to document the costs paid with personal funds while the entity was being formed and was in its start-up phase.

We'll want a copy of your most recently filed tax return along with a copy of your organizing documents. In addition, we'll want a copy of your accounting records for the tax year as an electronic data file, in print, or both. Bank and credit card statements for the entire year will provide necessary support, and we'll want copies of any payroll tax reporting that you did for the year.

We offer a 10% "Earlybird Discount" to any individual who has all of their tax materials in our office by February 11, 2019. There is a $50 new client discount when you let us know who suggested that you utilize our services.

If fees are truly a barrier to receiving the services that you need from us, then you can discuss your circumstances with Scott Beers. It is possible that we'll give you a break on the fees, but you have to ask.

We charge by the hour, not the form. Hourly Rates vary by staff person. See the "Services and Rates" section of the website for current information. Total cost will depend on the complexity of the issues involved and how well organized you are in providing it to us. We can usually give you a good ballpark figure of the cost after we've met and have reviewed your situation. Experience tells us that our fees are very fair.

No! There is a 5% per month penalty for late filing. It's easily avoided by filing the tax return itself or by filing an extension, even if you cannot pay the amount due. It's silly to incur the late filing penalty when you don't have to.

Respecting the clients ahead of you and with an eye to self-care, we'll only prepare them under extension. If you get the tax information to us by March 15, 2019, our staff will key in the figures as soon thereafter as possible. Assuming your data is complete, Sarah K, Mary, Daniel, or Scott will likely have time to go through it so that you can file on time.

If the data is incomplete, we receive it after the above date, or work simply hasn't moved through as quickly as expected, then the data will be keyed in and Sarah K, Mary, Daniel, or Scott will give it a cursory check so that we can prepare form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File. This will give you until October 15, 2019, to file the return. However, if you owe money for the 2018 tax year, the balance is due on April 15, 2019 along with the form 4868. You are getting an extension of time to file, not to pay. If you have a balance due when you file after April 15, penalties and interest will be due.

Most refunds are being received in seven to 14 days. Some take up to three weeks, and a few are received within four days. Direct Deposit speeds the refund process. If you request refund by check, add seven days to all of the above. MN Property Tax refunds are never sent out until mid-August at the soonest and disbursement continues into September. Sometimes identity issues, very large over-payments, and various other facts conspire to delay refunds. Use the "Where's My Refund" link from our website to check on the status if it's overdue.

We will provide you with a complete printed or PDF copy of your tax return for review. Enclosed will be form 8879, IRS E-File signature authorization. It contains key identifying facts from your tax return along with a pre-assigned PIN. If you agree that the tax return we prepared for you is correct, sign the form and return it to our office. Upon receipt of your signed form, we will transmit the tax return to the IRS and to the state(s). If there are questions or concerns about the tax return, contact us right away to get those resolved.

We strive to have Sarah, Mary, Daniel, or Scott work on your file within three weeks of receipt. Files received in late January and very early February will get quicker treatment since there's less backlog. Historically, by mid-February we're usually at three weeks or more lead time. The actual result depends on the number and complexity of the tax returns received ahead of yours.

It begins with receiving your tax information. New clients will meet with Sarah or Scott. Returning clients can meet with Scott or Sarah or can mail/drop off their materials. If your situation is complicated or has changed significantly since the prior tax year, a meeting is strongly recommended. One of our staff preparers may sit in on the meeting if agreeable to you. You will not be charged for both people's time.

A staff preparer will make an initial data entry run through your tax materials and will organize the file. If there are missing or unclear items, you will be contacted and asked to fill in the gaps.

Once deemed ready, Sarah K, Mary, Daniel, or Scott will review the staff work on your taxes. If the file is complete and there are no needs for information, we'll get it printed and right out to you. Often there will be some additional info needed or decisions to make about some tax matter. You'll receive our inquiry on this, and we'll wrap it when we're complete. Unless you tell us differently or we're pushing up against a filing deadline, our work product will be mailed to you along with an invoice. Payment is due upon receipt.

We'll want a copy of the prior year's tax return and your (and, if applicable, your spouse's) driver's license or identification card. We'll also want your W-2s, 1099s, 1098s, K-1s -- all the things you've received that say "Important Tax Information." Additionally, you'll have to provide information on revenues and expenses from your small business and/or rental property activity if those apply to you. Filling out our tax organizer is most helpful. In fact, we now insist upon it.

Enrolled Agent (E.A.) is a designation conferred by IRS after passing a rigorous exam in taxation while satisfying various ethical standards and meeting ongoing continuing education requirements. It means that we're enrolled to practice before the IRS and to act as the representative (agent) of the taxpayer. For more information, see

Not Applicable mid-December to April. We can meet by phone or in person to discuss your needs and our ability to meet them. This is not billable time. We'll spend up to 30 minutes with you so that both parties can determine whether we're likely to have a fruitful and productive working relationship.

Not Applicable mid-December to April. Contact us as soon as possible. We will send some organizing materials to help you prepare and we'll set up an appointment for you to bring the materials in and review them with Sarah Kise, Daniel Palahniuk, or Scott Beers.